With so much of today’s food being heavily processed and full of preservatives, flavours and colours it is not really a shock that more and more people are slowly discovering that foods are affecting their health, the health of their children and behaviour.
Effects of food additives can include:
- irritability, restlessness, difficulty falling asleep
- mood swings, anxiety, depression, panic attacks
- inattention, difficulty concentrating or debilitating fatigue
- speech delay, learning difficulties
- eczema, urticaria and other itchy skin rashes; angioedema or swelling of the lips etc often associated with rashes
- reflux, colic, stomach aches, bloating, and other irritable bowel symptoms including constipation and/or diarrhoea, sneaky poos, sticky poos, bedwetting
- headaches or migraines
- frequent colds, flu, bronchitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis; stuffy or runny nose, constant throat clearing, cough or asthma
- joint pain, arthritis, heart palpitations, racing heartbeat.
As well as food additives, many people can be intolerant to natural food chemicals such as salicylates, amines and glutamates. These natural food chemicals can be a problem on their own, but processing them (such as in sauces and packaged foods) can increase their concentration as well. But how do you know if food is the cause of the problem? This is where the RPAH Elimination Diet and Sue Dengate’s FAILSAFE diet come in.
With the incredible work of Sue Dengate on the fed up web site and the RPAH Allergy Unit, there is hope and a wealth of resources out there. You have the power to make the positive changes for your family!
Doing an elimination diet is a really daunting experience. By sharing our experiences through our blogs and newsletter we hope to make it just a little bit easier.
Highly recommend the RPAH Elimination Diet Handbook.
FAILSAFE – ” Free of Additives, and Low in Salicylates, Amines and Flavour Enhancers”
The above list is from The Food Intolerance Network (Fed.com.au); for more in-depth information about the Failsafe diet, please follow the link.